Font Size

Military and Overseas Voters

The Military and Overseas Voters Empowerment Act (MOVE) was signed into law in 2009,  affording certain US citizens the right to request an "electronic" absent voter ballot, to be emailed or faxed to the voter. This Act applies to: 

  • all active, uniformed service members
  • their spouses and dependents and 
  • Merchant Marines, stationed inside or outside the United States, and
  • civilians residing or temporarily located overseas

The voter must submit an FPCA (Federal Post Card Application) to the Clerk in the jurisdiction of their permanent residence, requesting ballots for the calendar year, January 1 – December 31. The form must be filled out in its entirety and is in effect for that calendar year only. This application must be updated annually.